Ever thought about tipping your mechanic?
Here in the U.S. we tip waitstaff at restaurants, baristas when we get coffee and valets when they park our cars. Because these are common situations, we don’t think twice about tipping. What about less common situations, like when you have your car serviced? It is nice to let your auto mechanic know that you appreciate their hard work.
There are no hard and fast rules about tipping mechanics. Here are a few things to keep in mind when making your decision.
- Do you go to the same mechanic every time your car needs service? If he or she always provides great service at a fair price, tipping is a great way to show your appreciation.
- Think about how much you’d like to tip. 20% is common for a meal at a restaurant, but it’s difficult to determine an amount for an automotive service. A $5 tip is considered a kind token. $20 could be given for great service or a more complicated job. Give a larger tip if you feel that your mechanic went above and beyond.
- Before you tip, ask if it’s okay first. Some auto technicians are not allowed to accept tips. Asking first will help you avoid an uncomfortable situation. If your mechanic followed through with exceptional service, consider offering them a tip that would cover a meal like lunch.
- Mechanics are paid either an hourly rate or a flat rate. Parts and labor typically make up the bill. However, don’t assume the technician working on your car is getting a large portion of what you pay for labor.
- Sometimes mechanics will help you out without charging you. In this case, giving a tip makes sense and shows that you appreciate their help.
- Even when tipping is appropriate, the best way to show your appreciation is by saying “thank you” and recommending the mechanic to your friends.
Keep in mind that you should never feel obligated. Tipping your mechanic should be used to show appreciation for a job well done or for exceptional service.
Are you looking for a new mechanic? Read our tips on choosing an auto repair shop and then schedule your service on Openbay.
Get your vehicle serviced using Openbay